Good morning, Suffield! Today is Wednesday, Feb. 20, 2013; there are 314 days left in the year.
Here's your Daily 5:
1. A free presentation by CCSU Professor of History Dr. Matthew Warshauer, looking at how Connecticut residents viewed slavery and race before, during, and after the Civil War, will be held at the Kent Memorial Library Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. The evening is being hosted by the Suffield Academy American Studies class.
2. The Second Chance Shop of Suffield is having its semi-annual clearance sale. From now through Feb. 23, take 50% off and from Feb. 25 to March 2, receive 75% off. Jewelry and collectables excluded. All proceeds from sales at this beautiful boutique-like store benefit The Village for Families and Children, a private, non-profit human services agency founded over 200 years ago and committed to building a community of strong, healthy families who protect and nurture children.
3. After a brief February vacation, Suffield High School teams are back in action Wednesday. Boys swimming hosts Classical Magnet/University at 5:30 p.m. in the Suffield Academy pool, boys basketball entertains Coventry at 7 p.m., and the ice hockey co-op visits the rink at Loomis-Chaffee to take on the Farmington/Avon/Windsor co-op at 7 p.m.
4. The National Weather Service forecast for Suffield calls for mostly cloudy skies Wednesday, with a high temperature of 34. Wednesday night will be partly cloudy, with a low of 17.
5. If you haven't done so already, now is the time to register for Suffield Patch's free daily newsletter. Get all the headlines right in your inbox every morning.